A day in the life...

In case you happened to want to know a little about my life, I am an open book.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday, August 13, 2007

Thinking

It will be interesting to see what the 2 freed Korean hostages say about the experience. I wonder if the group as a whole knew the entire world was watching them. I wonder how they were treated. I wonder what freedoms they were allowed. I wonder how much of the reporting from the Taliban side was true.

I figure since the entire thing was a mission trip to begin with, they all felt fairly convicted in their faith. Why else would they volunteer to go to such a dangerous place? At some point, even if it were in the way back of their minds, they must have considered capture and/or imprisonment of some sort. Were they trained for such a situation, physically, spiritually, emotionally?

When they were first taken hostage, after the initial shock and horror wore off, I thought to myself that this was an amazing opportunity for them to exemplify to the world faith in Christ. They would stand strong, not back down in their faith, be persecuted willingly for the name of Jesus. They would be a witness to the Taliban crazies that their faith was more than religion or lifestyle, and it would impact them. Then their leader was killed. Then the Taliban demands weren't met, and another member was killed. Then they were all sick, two of them allegedly dangerously ill. What would be their response?

A cell phone message was replayed where one girl is sobbing and begging for rescue, they don't want to die, they don't want to be there, please help them in any way. A Taliban report says that they have been teaching Muslim ideology to their captives, and the hostages are earnestly considering conversion to the Muslim faith.

Me, being the judgmental Pharisee that I am, also never having experienced any type of persecution in my life, was disappointed in them. So much for the opportunity. What good will come out of this trip? Two of them died nobly, serving God, true. What will the lives of the remaining team members be like, especially after they return home?

Then I wondered how I would handle the situation. What would I have said? Would I have done or said anything to ensure my safety? Would I have succumb to pressure, or would I really have had the faith to boldly proclaim what I believe in, no matter what the consequences? Had I been living in Biblical times, would I have endangered myself to stoning or imprisonment for the sake of the name of Christ? At this point, I would have to say realistically, no. I think I would've succumbed and weenied out.

I dunno. My faith is going through a weird thing these days. It's good because it's being challenged. A lot of issues and questions are going through my mind these days, though. I'm looking forward to seeing how God will stretch me and mold me in the days to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home