A day in the life...

In case you happened to want to know a little about my life, I am an open book.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Sunday, May 14, 2006

My two sleepy babies

It's my last Sunday at home. I guess I could've gone to church, but I was really looking forward to having the house to myself. Privacy, as the world knows it, is gone to me. Even now, I'm not REALLY alone. Bubber's entertaining himself pretty well in the bouncy chair by my feet.

So I know he's not even three weeks old yet, but it's interesting seeing similarities and differences in Matthew and Ellie. They were both dark and slightly jaundiced with very round ears. Matthew constantly grunts and groans like Ellie did. They're both very cuddly - I'm sleeping on the guest bed with Matthew these days (Peter just wakes me up even more often if I sleep in our room). I'll put him on the other side of the bed, but inevitably, he wakes up next to me. I remember Ellie did that, too. They just want to snuggle, I guess. Ellie would make kissy lips when she was hungry, Matthew does too. Matthew sleeps 85% of the day like Ellie did.

Peter and I have been joking that we make very sleepy children, but is it really a genetic thing? Interesting idea. Their behavior is different in a few ways, but definitely much more alike. Physically, they don't look a thing alike, so that's interesting, too.

What's really interesting is that my brother and I have a lot of similar pet peeves and perspectives on things, despite the fact that our personalities are so different and we haven't lived together in 13 years. At Christmas when Danny and Jieun come, Peter and Jieun have a blast singing together, changing keys, changing lyrics, skipping beats... while Danny and I are both cringing and trying to hold our tongues. Neither of us see our cars as much besides means of transportation (I can only identify my friends' cars by color. When they get new ones, I'm completely lost for about a year.), both of us consider ourselves whitewashed Koreans and are pretty happy about it, neither of us drink soda, etc.

So which has to do with nature and which nurture? The music thing I think is a result of sharing the same piano teacher. I guess the cars and soda thing is due to our parents caring nothing about cars and never letting us drink soda. But Peter's parents didn't let him drink soda growing up, and now he can't get enough of it. Are we genetically inclined to not like soda, like our parents? Could that even possibly be a genetic inclination? Weird.

It'll be interesting to see how Matthew and Ellie develop as they get older. I wonder if they'll be more alike or different. I wonder if they'll be close. I wonder how Peter's preferences will change as "the boy" gets older. I wonder if they'll drink soda or not since Peter does and I don't.

By the way, happy Mothers' Day to me. Mama of two. Still haven't comprehended it fully. Last night though, I left Matthew at home to take Ellie to Kayce's birthday party. When I got back, I was just holding him and he fell asleep. He looked so content to just lie on my chest and snooze. Then I had Ellie leaning against my legs and watching TV. There's just nothing as comforting as Mommy. :) Happy Mothers' Day, Mommies.

5 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger jieungrace said...

Hey, I'm most of the time on key. And the lyrics are close enough... hehe. Happy Mother's Day! And to me, too.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger sunju said...

OK, so it's mostly Peter singing off key. I have to say, it's impressive that you can keep up with Peter's key changes while harmonizing. That's gotta be some kind of skill!

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

our parents didn't care about cars, and i don't think pete and I do, but I can still recognize different makes and models. As for the soda thing, my dad loves diet coke now and my mom and I still don't drink soda

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger ciaoirene said...

Happy Mother's day, Sunjiya...

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Mother's Day, mama!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home