A day in the life...

In case you happened to want to know a little about my life, I am an open book.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Friday, September 28, 2007

Wanna be my friend?

I feel like my generation was skipped with the whole myspace thing. Actually, I guess it's not my generation, age-wise - more like my mommy status. I don't know any other moms on myspace, although I know quite a few people my age. Then again, most of the friends I hang out with are at least 5 years older than I am, even though our kids are the same age. That's what I get for getting started so early.

Anyhow, my brother started working for facebook, so I was "encouraged" by my sister-in-law to join. Since then, I find myself on it several times throughout the day. Mostly I look at the status updates, read some blogs, look at pics, watch videos and play scrabble.

BTW, if you're playing scrabble with me, please make moves more often than once every other day. Scrabble is my outlet, the thing I do when I have some time to myself. When I get on and NO ONE has made a move, it's frustrating. And if I'm not currently playing with you, challenge me to a game! I just beat Eugene Byon for the 3rd time in a row. Heh heh. I ended up clearing all my tiles three times in one game. Craziness.

Anyway, I was online last night trying to find out some info about Spencer from The Hills. (Does he even have a job? He's so slimy and greasy, and it looks like he does nothing but spend money all the live long day.) I ended up getting linked to the myspace pages of some of the people from the show. OK, they have, like, 13,002 friends. What the heck?

Is this a status thing? Do people just like having high numbers on their friends list? Does it make you cool? Personally, I don't really want to know what's going on in the daily lives of many acquaintances. It's fun seeing what close friends or family are up to, but if I hardly know you, why do I want to know about your favorite movies? Or even more than that, why do you want me to know?

Is this selfish? Should I accept everyone as my friend, just because they requested it? I have to confess, there are a handful of friend requests I've ignored. If you're one of them and you're reading this, my apologies. But really, why do you want to be my friend? Do you care that Matthew is undisciplinable? Do you care that Julie is going to fix my glasses for me? Do you really want to know who I'm playing scrabble with?

My parents have asked me repeatedly to explain "in layman's terms" what facebook is. It's really hard to explain to old Korean grandparents! They usually respond, "But why do you want to know what everyone's doing?" Then conclude with, "So it's just another way to waste your time." Which, I guess, it is. I know that I personally never do anything productive or worthwhile on facebook. I got in touch with several people that I'd lost touch with, which is nice, but otherwise, I just mostly play scrabble.

So challenge me to a game! But only if you're really my friend.

3 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger Irene said...

What did you learn about Spencer? I think I read somewhere that his dad is a successful cosmetic dentist (to the stars, type of thing)...hence, he does nothing all day and drives an expensive car. Also, I believe their little group of friends (Brody, etc.) have a financer (is that a word?) who funds their partying and other expenses. I think he's called the Godfather or some other mafia-related reference.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger slugnut said...

hahahah...nice post. your candid comments made me laugh and *almost* made me want to join facebook...but then i figured you wouldn't accept my friend request! :)

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger slugnut said...

btw, i saw your brother (and family) at church on Sunday. we talked for a little bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home